Replace gimble bearings and seals on Volvo AQ 270T

Tekniska frågor om tex. motorer , el etc.
Technical matters about engines, electrical equipment etc.

Moderator: Lars Lundbladh

Skriv svar
hpotgieter

Replace gimble bearings and seals on Volvo AQ 270T

Inlägg av hpotgieter »

Hi. I need to replace the gimble bearing on my AQ270T and after watching a few YouTube videos I have removed the gearbox section on the 270T and can clearly see the intermediate shaft end, which I'm battling to pull out.
I have removed the 3 circlips, sprayed penetration oil, tied a water hose clamp onto the shaft and hook a slide hammer puller, but the clamp keeps on flying off, the shaft remains stuck inside. Any recommendations on how I can pull out the shaft and bearing without having to undo the gimble housing? I don't know how to remove the gimble / bell housing. I have already bought all the new parts.
Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

Re: Replace gimble bearings and seals on Volvo AQ 270T

Inlägg av Lars Lundbladh »

Hi

what motor do you have?

Normally I remove the sealing ring and the two large cirlips and then pull the shaft out with a special clamping tool and a slide hammer.
I think a hose calm is to week to hold the force. I use something similar to this to clamp the shaft:
https://www.conrad.se/p/spannsats-sit-c ... mm-1000885

In worst case the shaft has rusted to the flywheel to remove the cone/gimbal house the motor must be lifted removed and than separate the cone/shaft from the flywheel. Motor with cone/gimbal house can be lifted out from the boat in one piece.

/Lars
Fjord 900 Dolphin -88 /D6
Ordförande och webmaster i Fjordklubben
hpotgieter

Inlägg av hpotgieter »

Hi Lars
I have a Volvo AQ170 6cycl 3.0L petrol engine.
Thanks for clarifying how to take out the gimble housing.
Given the effort to lift the engine out, I will rather persevere with trying to pull the shaft out for quite a while.
I will definitely take a look at the link you provided.
I'm making up a gripping tool by using a 32mm OD steel pipe and welding a nut onto it to be used for a "grub screw" effect for clamping onto the shaft.
I really hope this will work.
Question. What can go wrong if I break the bearing cage and try to hook the slide hammer puller inside the bearing race? Can this perhaps bend the shaft?
Regards Hugo
hpotgieter

Inlägg av hpotgieter »

Hi. Where can I get diagrams of the bellhousing and the transom shield components?
Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Lars Lundbladh »

Try this link
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/sv/vol ... 12893.aspx

I can mail you more info later,

/Lars
Fjord 900 Dolphin -88 /D6
Ordförande och webmaster i Fjordklubben
Skriv svar