Frågor om Båtar och modeller.
Questions about boats and modells

Moderator: Lars Lundbladh

Skriv svar
wadcruiser

My Fjord HT 21 / AQ170

Inlägg av wadcruiser »

Hello all.

I would like to show you my Fjord HT 21. I own this boat since 2013 and It is such a great boat. The engine is the originial Volvo AQ170 with 270 drive. I live on one of the northern islands of Holland so the boat is used mostly at sea where it performs very good in the choppy waters. I'm interested to find some more historic information about this boat like building year/place and maybe some information files. Maybe you can help me.

I have a playlist with movies from the Fjord on Youtube which you can find here: https://youtu.be/9FeEjpBCTqg?list=PLba3 ... 6kb0LPbv1S

Bild

Bild

Bild
Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

Re: My Fjord HT 21 / AQ170

Inlägg av Lars Lundbladh »

Hi,

Great pictures and videos.

The story of the Fjord 21 fot hull follows below, the boat was built by Fjord Plast A/S in Arendal Norway.
The 21 Fot hull was used for Fjord 21 HT, 21 DC , 21 Weekender, The 21 DC later became the 650 SE and the 21W became 650 S.
I have sent you some additional Information on email.

The text below is originally written by the designer Eivind Amble and has been translated by Google translate and reworked by myself so the text is not prefect but is anyhow very interesting.

/Lars

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FJORD 21 SERIES

Again I have been allowed to write a small historic clip. About boats that I have been involved in developing. This time comes the Fjord 21 line: Essentially four variants on a fairly versatile hull platform: 21 Holiday, 21 Weekender, 21 Day Cruiser and 21 Hardtop. Plus "Nr. 100 "as we drove proper" Offshore "with.

The chronology is roughly this: In 1966 I therefore commissioned to create the boat which I have called "the world's fastest floating storehouse" - Fjord Attaché. Then we won a lot of experience in 1967. And I thought that the hull could be used for more than a high-rise estates. And therefore the Fjord 24 Weekender was born in 1968.

But that was not enough. At the same time I considered surreptitiously opportunity to create a 21 fot boat based on the same concept. I soon had the green light from the bosses. But I was unsure of the stability, and did not take a chance on a 21 footer with bridge deck completely patterned after the 24 fot sister.

The 21-footer should not have the width greater than magic 2.50 meters. The boat should be able to be transported on a passenger car trailer on the road network in Europe. A simple quarter berth on the port side was what I dared to stretch it to. I did not take a chance on some "luxury suite" in the first place.

We had two canons loaded in the spring. And when we fired the shot for 24 weekender based on Attaché hull as we already knew well, narrowly we equally well with a brand new 21-foot hull. Project start in January, test drives of virtually production ready prototype in September. Yes, the same year. And that at a time when neither computers, PCs, CAD or CAM could facilitate job. 8-month development time is real fast, also seen with today's eyes.

But after Fjord Holiday's first season, demanded market more of 21-footer than what the new boat had to offer. Our customers have ignited weekender solution, and we simply had to give also 21-footer a midcabin under a raised cockpit floor. I had gradually taught me a little about the relationship between stability and bottom rise (or "deadrise" which is bottom "V" angle relative to the horizontal), and knew that this was going to be a real challenge for a 2.5 meter wide hull with 23 degree dead rise. From chine to chine (measured from the one side outer lifting strike to the other side lifting strakes) I could not get more than 2.0 meters max. This would be like small boat that should have too much food in the stomach.

Normally this would not really been something scary neither with the deadrise or the chine width, if the boat should have had a more "normal" with a low cockpit. But at Weekender version would show up with several people standing on a high bridge deck, and therefore the project was bound to be on the edge. So I did the board sharply aware of the matter and reserved my right to eventually load the keel with ballast.
So the little sister to the Fjord 24 Weekender was born with 60 kg epoxycoated iron weight located as deep into the hull/keel as we could get it. This was not many people that knew about. And maybe it was some competitors who did not understand why they even got problems getting similar boats to stand on their feet. For who could be crazy enough to add ballast in a planing hull?

Now I have written previously that weight is good medicine for planing boats desired more seaworthy. This was also true for small 21 WE and a testimonial that constantly recurs "the boat went softly into the sea", it is not so bad in this context.
I had fooled me to depart from Lindsey Lord's recipe for "monohedron lines" (constant bottom rise) which he championed in "bible" Naval Architecture of Planing Hulls from 1954. Both hulls for the new Fjord boats flattened slightly aft toward the stern. Thus tackled it challenges posed by moderate width, relatively high center of gravity and relatively deep "V" -hull reasonably usable.

After the experience of 21 Holiday in 1967, and 21 Weekender in 1968, we believe with a simpler version for the year 1969 Fjord 21 "Stripper" was the project name. Before the boat was finally baptized "Holiday Day Cruiser" - which basically was nothing particularly exciting names, if you ask me. In the 21 DC I for the first time was allowed to use curved front glass, and it was big at the time. The assumption was that we had to get up several boats that could use the same glass. For production tool cost plenty of money as the window manufacturer charged us for.
But while we changed Holiday'en to Weekender and worked until the new DC'en, we had also started developing Fjord Wing. (Maybe more about "Wingen" later?) So in the time that followed, the new dual bore again. And the next version of 21-foot hull had to wait until 1971. - It was slow with so many balls in the air.

In thinking break we wondered how we could play the friend Kåre tricks and challenge Draco with a competitor to Draco's own bestseller. I launched the "21 Draco-killer" and "21 Dray". We had to have some inspiring project name to keep going strong in the late night hours. We ended on the name "Fjord 21 Hardtop" - this does not particularly imaginative.
In the 21 HT I got used windscreens from DC'en. And to make everything rhyme with proper visibility and cockpit comfort, got side sill a little hip turn. It provided a useful solution, for the 21 HT one can sit in the cockpit aft bench and watch through the large front window. 360 degree visibility from the aft seat, in other words.

But I can not let the story of Fjord 21 series without coming into our focus on the racing track. Tvedestrand was the navel in racing environment in the south, and Trygve Eriksen, who painstakingly developed now with the originally ambitious name Tvedestrand Skibsstøperi to also become a major supplier of equipment for yachts, asked both premises, pier space and crew at the disposal of Tvedestrand regatta. In the period from the 1960s until well into the 1970s, was Golar Metall linchpin of the whole. And from the plant at Tangen went start for both Skjærgårdsløp, two-hour XC race, genuine southern "motorbådregatta" (by pressing 't' 'one) and "Skagerrak Across" (yes, at that time I think there was only one "r" in Skagerrak).
Now would Fjord show that we also make the cut on the competition lanes. With virtually standard boats. While we were preparing a leash with Fjord Winger, we built a special version of the Fjord 21 Holiday - "Nr. 100 "- which we could use for the trip to Denmark. With aluminum deck, proper trim tank with fast filling and emptying ditto, even driving positions which had floorboards with both suspension and damping. Cockpit rigged for that navigator would handle both gear and gas, trim tank valves and trim level. We were probably among the first to share tasks in this way. For onboard with role models, whether they named Sam Griffith, Don Aronow or Jim Wynne (to name a few), it was the driver who had all the controls, while the navigator content to fit a map and compass while he took the pulse of the engines. In "No. 100" was Johan who ruled while I "pulled in hand taka". Today is the specialized "throttlemannen" become a necessity.

It was really quite necessary to stand in the cockpit to have an overview of the terrain. Ie over the competition, spectator boats and other traffic over the islets, reefs, stakes and beacons, and not least over the waves. Moreover, experienced those who tried to sit wherever flexible, suspended seats were, how backrest rubbed sore delicate skin since the boat leapt violently into the sea.
For non-stop Tvedestrand-Hirtshals return could be rather laborious although the average speed was not impressive set of today's eyes. 50 knots across the sea in a 21-foot boat and solgangskuling, provides harrowing experiences. And kidney neither would not relent until two to three weeks afterwards.

As mentioned, it was necessary to give the usual Fjord 21 a hull that could withstand a lot of weight without losing your breath. Minimum engine variant was 130PS Volvo AQ. That meant hull bottom had to get lots of lift. All the while we "Nr. 100 "would put two top trimmed Volvo sixes, we were therefore guaranteed wild" overplaning "if we made no grip and adjustments. I pondered me until some appropriate increments - especially in the broad splashes list. It voiced good. And with a few rough trim level (which we incidentally crushed cylinders when we fell down on the stern of long tissues without enough emphasis in the bow) plus the large trim tank prior, we had serviceable control.
All this meant that Fjord's 21-foot series met the audience with lots of energy for many years. The models were produced both Haslatangen and Rjukan. And prices in 1972 started at NOK 52,880 for a standard DC with 130 hp engine, tells little about the cost and price trends of the time and to this day.

With the transport friendly width of 2.50 meters, it was not so wrong to offer four sleeps plus washrooms with pumpedo below deck, while cockpit length on good 2.5 meters. No wonder we had to crack a few nuts stability using some ballast deep in the abdomen. But in this way could Fjord 21 live a long life on an even keel.

Evind Amble
Fjord 900 Dolphin -88 /D6
Ordförande och webmaster i Fjordklubben
Skriv svar