Frågor om Båtar och modeller.
Questions about boats and modells

Moderator: Lars Lundbladh

Skriv svar
rdrago

1970 Selco Selcruiser

Inlägg av rdrago »

Hello to all,

I have recently purchased a 1970 (27 foot) Selco Selcruiser and in desparate need of information and advice on its restoration. I believe the boat has been through several owners and has been modified several times. I need advice on where to find original parts for the cabins and deck also on replacement parts for the Volvo Penta 6 cyl motor. Can anyone help?
Thank You,
rdrago
Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Lars Lundbladh »

Dear Rdrago

Parts for the 6cyl Volvo AQ170 (petrol engine) are easy to get here in Sweden from Volvo or Orbitrade
http://www.orbitrademarine.com/
Also Carparts from Volvo B30 engine is possible to get. Any special part you need?
Fjordclub have broschure material for Fjord 27 crusier that the boat was called under the Fjord program. email me on info@fjordclub.com and I will send these pictures in return.

/Lars
rdrago

Selco Selcruiser

Inlägg av rdrago »

Hello,

I am trying to find out the correct prop for my boat. I have a 1970, 27 Selco Selcruiser, it has a Volvo Penta 6 cyl desiel engine (Turbo Charged) Model # TMD40. I need to know the right size and pitch for the prop to achieve max speed. Also I need to know the correct ratio for RPM's to speed (knots). And is it possible to get an Owners Manual for this boat? I need all the help I can get!! HaHa

Thanks,
Robin
Flinn

Inlägg av Flinn »

Look at http://boatdiesel.com, you will need to join, and use their prop calculator. I have an AD41 and a 16" x 16" prop gives full speed of about 18 knots lightly loaded while still being able to cruise in a 4 knot limit (River Thames). The 40 series all rev to 3800-3900 rpm. What gearbox ratio do you have?
Two beers please: my friend will pay
rdrago

Inlägg av rdrago »

I am not sure of the gear box ratio. How do I check for this?
Flinn

Inlägg av Flinn »

There should be a makers plate somewhere on the box, that will give makers name/model id which will give you the ratio, if it's not on the plate as well. If you can take a photo of the box someone may be able to recognise it.
rdrago

Inlägg av rdrago »

I have been told that I don't have a gear box, I have a transmission (transmission # MS1445). Is this correct?
Flinn

Inlägg av Flinn »

I'd be surprised if you have no gearbox. Unoless there is a difference in US automotive English transmission and gearbox are relatively interchangeable terms. A quick Google for the part number didn't give anything helpful. Any makers plate visible?
Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

Can you idntfify your reverse gear to Borg&Warner MS3 or MS3B ?

Please Look in youtr manual at http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/uk/en-g ... rs_manual/

TMD40A Would work fine.

Give me this (preferable also gearbox ratio) and I can give you a suggestion on propeller size

/Lars
rdrago

Selco Selcruiser

Inlägg av rdrago »

The transmission has a plate with numbers MS1445, does that help? The motor is Volvo Penta (turbo) MTD-40A serial Number 3645. Thats all I can find.

Thanks,
Robin
rdrago

Selcruiser Transmission

Inlägg av rdrago »

YEA!!! Did a little more cleaning of transmission plate and found another number MS 3 1445. Is that what I need to find prop size?
rdrago

Standard Prop Size?

Inlägg av rdrago »

Hello All,

I have a little more information about my boat The motor is a TMD40A with a MS3 transmission with a 1.91:1 ratio. I need to know the weight of my boat and standard prop size. Also how fast should the boat go with this motor and transmission with correct standard prop? If anyone can help me with this it would be a great help.

Thank You,

Robin Drago
Flinn

Inlägg av Flinn »

Robin.

The displacement of the boat will be very dependant on the amount of gear you keep on board. The original petrol engined boat had a displacment of around 2500kg (don't recall exactly) and the diesel engine is heavier than petrol. You need to consider the weight of any crew, fuel and water as well. I guesstimated 3750 kg for my own calculations, 8500lb in very round terms. Other details you will need are the boat's waterline length and beam, together with the draught. Any prop manufacturer worth his salt will be able to give you a recommendation on propellor size. With a broadly similar setup (AD41 engine) I have a 16" x 16" prop. Worth noting that 16" diameter is pretty much the limit of swing, you need a couple of inches between hull and blade tip.
rdrago

Gelcoat

Inlägg av rdrago »

Hello to all! OK Guys I am ready to refinish the outside of this baby. Can anyone give me advice on how to refinish the gelcoat. The transom in particular is in bad shape. The shadow of the letters from the old name are still visible and there is some damage from Hurricane Katrina. It may need a patch kit, I guess? Do I sand, compound or what? High speed buffer or no? I am afraid to do anything to the gelcoat ( I assume it is gelcoat, could be paint) before I go ahead

Thank You,
Robin
Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

Robin,

I think the easiest is to repaint with 2k paint I have used Interlux Perfection that is also sold in USA
http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/default.asp
This is a very durable paint. I used it will special ant slip additive (glass/sand) on the deck at the areas where you walk
It can be applied with brush (top of the line brush) but it is better with spray gun.

The other solution is to use topcoat (gelcoat with wax so that it will harden) But this is much more difficult and also needs more after work.

PS. I upgrade your account so that you can upload pictures on the boat (I am curios)

/Lars
Skriv svar