Selcruiser 27 Fjord Rebuild - rot?

Frågor om Båtar och modeller.
Questions about boats and modells

Moderator: Lars Lundbladh

Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

Re: Selcruiser 27 Fjord Rebuild - rot?

Inlägg av Lars Lundbladh »

I believe the Hyundai to be a good choice one of my friends installed a V6 in a Fjord 24W and he was pleased with the performance.

This is a test done in Sweden to compare Volvo D3 with the Hyundai.
http://www.dpower.se/wp-content/uploads ... 3-2013.pdf

A cheaper alternative is a Gas V8 350 GM or maybe a diesel V8 like these:
http://www.marinedieselengineering.com/ ... es/md-170/

/Lars
Fjord 900 Dolphin -88 /D6
Ordförande och webmaster i Fjordklubben
BobFar2013

Inlägg av BobFar2013 »

Thanks Lars - that makes interesting reading. Regrettably those brands are not available to me here in BC. For interests sake what cost or prices does one expect to pay for these units in your city?

While the resale value of the boat is low on the list of priorities it is a nagging reality. The boat market here is flat and expected to stay so for some time. Two types of boats are selling well - the Bayliner and Grady - White fisher type vessels with twin 300 HP outboards are top of list.
The market this boat fits into here is the Albin 25 / (quite a cult boat here) and the Coronet ( not many but all have twin old gas 6 cyl) . Both must have a small diesel that will burn no more than 10 gal per hour to get max price and like mine the Coronets are prime candidates for repower (except for rot issues). That is why I am looking closely at the Volvo and Hyundai 150/170 range rather than that lovely Hyundai 250.
Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

I believe you can find some of the Engines in US and maybe also in Canada
http://www.performancediesel.com/
http://www.diss.cc/products_listings.php

/Lars
BobFar2013

Inlägg av BobFar2013 »

Sad to say - its all over -

:(
Senast redigerad av BobFar2013 den 22 nov 2013, 23:17, redigerad totalt 1 gånger.
Lars Lundbladh
Kontakt:

How could this happen ? I really feel sorry for you after all this work and effort. :(

The boat market here in Sweden is pretty flat also so prices are low, if you like to ship a nice Fjord to Canada I believe it would be possible.
http://boatshippingusa.com/
Boats are found on:
http://www.blocket.se/stockholm?q=selcruiser&cg=0&w=1&st=s&ca=11&is=1&l=0&md=th

/Lars
Cruiser27

Inlägg av Cruiser27 »

Oh Bob! I´m so sorry! What happened? You were so in to this project and so well on the way...it´s heartbreaking! I really hope nobody got hurt.

All the best,
Kim
Selcruiser 27 med Hyundai S250
BobFar2013

Inlägg av BobFar2013 »

Cause may be resin based as I was working on small hull repair in the forward bilge, with Fibreglass Resin. Left it alone and ... I really don't know how this could happen so quickly. Everything was going so well. Pretty sure it is a write off ... for interests sake I will add more as I know. Thanks for the good wishes.
arthor

Inlägg av arthor »

Hello Bob,

Absolutely tragic news. I hope you can salvage something out of this. I noticed the start of this thread when having a browse on my phone and logged on to my laptop with the intention of sharing how mine was going. I am gutted for you mate. I would imagine that all your interior work will be gone but maybe anything GRP won't be too bad.
I was so chuffed to see that yet another person had decided to put some time, money and effort into a Selcruiser. Made me feel less mad really.
Mine is in the yard at the moment (has been for months) and is having a Yanmar 250hp fitted. I have installed a galley forward. So as you go down from the helm area, there is a galley to port and the head/shower to starboard. Forward of that, past a new bulkhead is the forward sleeping cabin. I am hoping that the fact that the Yanmar is a fair bit shorter than the old Penta 106hp lump, I can bring the step down rearwards a little. The aim being to avoid having the lift up thing on the "dashboard" so I can install a thingey for my laptop running a gps/chart system. My aim is to move the doorway to the aft cabin from the centreline to starboard, beef up the roof of the cabin so we can sling a couple of chairs on it when moored.
I will post some pics once I get her back.

Once again Bob, I really hope you can get to a point where there is enough to make a relaunch of your project worthwhile.

Hugh
BobFar2013

Inlägg av BobFar2013 »

Thanks for your good thoughts.
The galley idea you have is the one I installed taking half the port bunk and it worked great as no one changed it since I installed it in 1980.

As for Trudy11 - complete loss. The heat from a fire will delaminate the fiberglass. The fire started at the base of the fore cabin step engulfing the helm and head door then grabbed the port side galley. The roof while not harshly burned is completely delaminated so much so stepping on it to remove the mas felt as though I would fall through. Day before I installed new tanks and was about to button up the bow area .. The hull is shot on the port from two foot aft to mid-ships and likely further aft than that .. so rebuilding is not possible without a $100k budget. Not likely.

Your motor choice is a good one and should give you some space for an added step down (which would be a great addition).

I am awaiting the insurance company adjusters to decide how much money I will lose and now checking boat listings on Yachtworld etc.

I will have some of the little bits off the boat - chocks, rails etc. But as this is likely the only one in Canada they will be ornaments .. all the best with your rebuild and keep us posted on your progress.
I added a photo of my old galley
http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Notan ... e.jpg.html
arthor

Inlägg av arthor »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32343795@N06/9555489955/

Hi Rob,
it would appear that it is a handy place for the galley. I seem to recall that the galley was originally where it was due to some regulation about gas cokkers not being situated below. Bit of a nightmare up top though.
Seems to be a pretty disorganised layout with quite a lot of space wasted. Great boat nonetheless. Mine is named Aerandir which is elvish for Sea Wanderer. Ambitious? I prefer aspirational.

Good luck with the insurance assessment.
BobFar2013

Inlägg av BobFar2013 »

Excellent addition! The big deal in our area is using marine stoves - as they have a sensor that shuts off the fuel supply should the stove go out. Having even that up top in the cockpit I remember was a real pain plus being under the helm meant "tea" underway only if a flask was used. Then removing that cabinet saved about 100lbs if memory serves. But your setup is ideal.
Nbottning

Inlägg av Nbottning »

Oh... I´m so sorry. Difficult for me to say something more, because there is not much to say, the pics just leavs you with an empty feeling...
and also because it not easy to find the right words in english.

I hope you find strength to get yourself another boat again.

All the best //Per
//Per Engman
Medlemsnr: 273
Fjord Weekender 30 -74
Här skriver jag om min båt: http://www.fjordclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=911
BobFar2013

Inlägg av BobFar2013 »

The remains have been removed and are being chopped to little pieces to place in the landfill - sad end to a really unique boat.
As one can imagine I have some parts available - many will not interest any of you but some like the chocks, lights, door latches, hinges etc may be, so here is a link to a photo of all of them. If you make me an offer plus shipping .. Happy to take more detailed photos of anything you wish. These items are unique on this side of the pond - not sure how unique they may be "Over There". :)
BobFar2013

Inlägg av BobFar2013 »

On to other toys - someone always says ".. maybe its for the best.." I got tired of hearing that but now not so sure. I found an Apollo 32 tt at an (in my opinion) incredible price with twin Lehmans only 2400 hours, and a log book from day one - complete!! and in need of nothing (yeah I know .this week ..after all it's a boat) I removed all evidence of the Trudy 11 Selcruiser photo links and now posted photos of the Apollo if anyone is interested.

http://s1274.photobucket.com/user/Notan ... d.jpg.html

I appreciate the information and support I received from you all. Hoping to find a forum on Apollos - but so far no luck .. might need to start my own.

All the best
Bob Farrell
Victoria BC
Canada
Cruiser27

Inlägg av Cruiser27 »

Congrats! Looks like it´s in exellent condition. What a beautiful boat Bob, no doubt you´ll enjoy cruising around like that. And no doubt she´ll challenge your skills before you know it, after all it´s a boat.
Have a really good time with her and take care. I´ll keep my eyes open for a newborn Apollo-forum.

All the best to you too,
Kim
Selcruiser 27 med Hyundai S250
Skriv svar